Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Burger From He**


Several years ago a television show called, "Man vs. Food" premiered. It is basically a show where the host, Adam, goes around to various restaurants to take on their local food challenges. Some of them are spicy and hot, and some of them are just large and voluminous.



The very first episode that I saw was filmed in Amarillo, TX, (which happens to be about 80 miles from where I am right now). In the episode, Adam took on two challenges that have stuck out in my mind ever since.
The first was the Burger From Hell. At the Coyote Bluff Cafe, they take a half pound beef patty, put on a full cup of fresh jalapeƱos, a Habanero pepper sauce, and Tabasco Sauce. Then a large amount of cheese is melted over the whole thing to trap all the heat in. Add a little lettuce and tomato, and you have the Burger From Hell.
Ever since I saw that episode, I have wanted to eat that burger.
My first attempt to eat it happened back in October. We came out to Amarillo with the specific intent to eat this burger. We arrived at the opening time, sat down, and without hesitation, I told the waitress that I wanted a Burger From Hell. She told me they were missing one of the ingredients and that it wouldn't taste the same, (specifically the Habanaro pepper sauce). I consoled myself with a Green Chile Burger, saddened by the fact that I wasn't going to fulfill my goal that day.
But lament not! My chance at redemption came yesterday, November 9, 2010.
We drove in to Amarillo, once again with the goal of going to the Coyote Bluff Cafe. We arrived on time, sat down, and once again, ordered the burger. This time we had success!



The burger was fantastic. I won't lie...it was very, very hot. But it also was very, very good. It seems that whenever something goes to one extreme, such as heat, something else is sacrificed, such as taste. But that was not the case here. This burger, despite kicking my heat sensors off the charts, was delicious!



If you are ever in the Amarillo, TX area, I highly recommend that you try this burger.



Tomorrow, I and my buddies will be attempting the OTHER challenge that was featured on "Man vs. Food". At the Big Texan Restaurant, they offer a 72 Oz. Steak Dinner Challenge. You have to eat the steak (72 oz.), a baked potato, salad, roll and three pieces of shrimp. If you eat it all in an hour, it is free. If not...it costs $72.



Either way you get a t-shirt. One that says you succeeded...and one that says you tried.

If you want to watch, they have a live Internet feed. Go to www.bigtexan.com and watch us around 5:30 PM MST. We are going to be there around 5:00, but it takes about a half hour to cook the steak.

Wish me luck!

4 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

I hope your arteries don't clog on the spot. Best of luck!!

whitney said...

Wow...I can barely handle salsa. I'd probably be bawling my eyes out with your hellish burger.

As for the Big Texan, I've heard it's a fun place but kinda touristy (my sister lives in Amarillo). Good luck with the challenge...that is a he** of a lot of meat!

(pretty sure I swore twice in this comment. What a bad influence you are, Zach!)

Sufoot said...

...You gave it a good try, Zach! I'm just confused...at some point it was obvious you weren't going to finish - and yet you all just kept eating....

Smiley Family said...

Um, yeah, not tempted by that one either. Me and heat don't mix. But, good for you :o)