Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The 3 A's




This is just an interesting little tidbit into my social life...specifically what happened last week in said social life.
As many of you know, back in Sept., I had just started seeing a girl in my ward. We went out several times, she had amazing kids, and for the most part...(at least as far as I could tell), things were going swimmingly.
Apparently, I was mistaken.
I went on a trip to Texas, and while out punching holes deep into the ground, I never heard one word from this girl. Despite two phone calls, (one voicemail), one e-mail and one text message spread over a two week period, (any more and I would have been crossing the line into Stalker); I never received any sort of response.
Now, I knew that she was busy with school, so I gave her the benefit of the doubt and assumed that upon my return, things would pick up again and life in the dating world would be bliss.
Almost a full week back in Utah...and I hadn't heard or seen her. I had hopes that when I turned up at church that Sunday...things would all make sense. And they did...but not in the way I expected.
While sitting in the chapel waiting for the services to begin, she came walking in, big smile on her face, laughing and holding on to...another guy.

Have you ever had a 5-6 year old child run at you full bore and nail you in the stomach/groin with his or her head...because that is at just the right height?
That's what I felt like when I saw her walk in. If I hadn't had the responsibility to teach Elder's Quorum that day, I would have walked out right then and attended a different ward.
But I didn't. And the lesson went well. It was on patience. It was appropriate. Especially considering my dating life and attempts to work towards marriage.

I went home after church and declared for all the Facebook world to see that I had given up. I was done. I had given everything that I had to my efforts at following the Lord's will (and His commandments), to get married...but obviously, nothing has panned out. So I decided that I was done. I would continue to do what is right, stay active in Church and put forth my best efforts towards work, family and friends. But efforts to date were completely shut off. In a very personal moment with the Lord, I promised Him that I would keep my eyes open, but hoped that He would guide me to the right place...at the right time...according to His will.

After that, I felt at peace that everything was going to be ok. Life is still good, and that girl didn't know what she had passed by. Despite my serious lack of follicle supply on my noggin...I still have a lot to offer.

So I pressed forward. I found many things to enjoy and partake in. But I also saw that the Lord wasn't going to let me rest on my laurels for long.

I have a very close friend, whom I very much enjoy spending time with. We met through unusual circumstances as she was dating my cousin for quite some time. During their relationship, she and I built a very solid friendship ourselves. Her name is Ashli. I've mentioned her before when I gave a shout out to her blog.

Ashli is one of my best friends...and at a time when I was avoiding the whole dating scene, she was there to keep me from holing myself into my Man Cave and shunning all social interaction. She got me out on the town, and I hope she knows how much I appreciate that.

So the Friday following that Sunday when I gave up...she and I went out to dinner and a movie and I was able to not dwell on anything of ill will, but rather enjoy the night. Thanks Ashli.

A few days later I was on my way home from Indiana and got a text from another friend, who wanted to set me up on a blind date. I will be honest, (and she, my friend doesn't know this...but), I almost said no. However, because of the respect I have for my friend...I agreed to a lunch date. She helped make the arrangements, and on that Wednesday I took out her co-worker...a girl named Ashley.

I actually had a very good time with Ashley. We went to lunch at a new restaurant in Provo called Molly's. I am glad that I didn't decline. Thank you Hayley my friend...and Ashley.

Finally, on Thursday evening, (the next day), I normally go to Institute because a great man named Thomas Monson, said that I should make it a priority. However, before getting to that, my cousin got married, so I attended the reception. It is always a grand time to see and visit family...especially those that give me a hard time about still being single. (Love you Uncle Joe) The reception was a lot of fun. It did however, put me behind schedule for making it to Institute on time. As I was rushing over to the Church building, another friend, Jon, called me up to chat. I can never say no to him...so we talked for about 45 minutes. Yes...I was REALLY late at this point.

While he and I were talking though, a young woman pulled into the parking lot, and jumping from her car, wearing her running clothes, she rushed passed me into the church. Two things went through my head at this point: 1) This girl must have the wrong Institute class, as it is for people 30 and older...and this girl looked MUCH younger than that, and 2) She had a really nice smile...because she smile directly at me. So I noticed it.

Anyway, 10 minutes or so later, I finished my phone call and went into the building. As I walked up to the classroom, I saw that the young woman who had passed me earlier was standing outside the room, listening through the door. I went to a second door and gestured to wards it, implying the question of whether she would join me or not. She politely waved a decline, and I entered into the classroom alone. There was only one chair in the back available, and I made myself comfortable with the last 15 minutes of class.

About 2 minutes later, the young woman from the hall came through the same door I had offered her earlier...(she must be independently minded)...and as there were no chairs available, (other than the front row...which NOBODY ever wants), I quickly stood up, offering her my chair and grabbed another one from the stack in the corner.

Guess what! She accepted my offer!

Class continued on for the last few minutes left, and it was a very good lesson. At the conclusion of class I turned to this girl sitting next to me and teased her about finally coming in, rather than hovering outside the door. In her defense, she said that she could hear the lesson just fine until some kids started causing a ruckus in the hallway, and that was why she came in. However, I like to think that she really came in hoping that a seat would be available near that handsome bald guy that just went in.

Anyway, we talked for quite a while, mostly about food and England, before I finally asked her for her name.

Ashlee.

I had to stop myself from saying, "Of course it is."

And that is the story of the three A's, Ashli, Ashley and Ashlee.

2 comments:

whitney said...

Sorry for the dating woes. Hang in there Buddy (as it seems you are).

Gretch said...

Yep, I'm going to need more details. Call when you can. Love you!