Friday, November 12, 2010

The 72 Oz. Challenge


Well I told you that we, (my buddies and I), were going to attempt the Big Texan 72 oz. Steak Challenge. Basically you have to eat a 72 oz. steak, a baked potato, a roll, salad and 3 pieces of breaded shrimp. If you complete it in 60 minutes, the meal is free, plus you get a t-shirt proclaiming that you succeeded in the challenge. If you don't complete it, you still get a shirt that says you tried...and you have to pay $72.

So four of us went for it. None of us completed it. Eric put in the best performance, eating almost 3/4ths of the steak, plus most of the sides. The rest of us, Jason, Jason, and I, finished half of our steaks, plus our sides.

The biggest thing that killed me was the chewing, (my jaws hurt so bad!), and the texture of the meat after 36 oz of steak passing through my mouth. At the end of the hour, I could still fit some more food in my stomach...I just couldn't chew it.

But I am glad that I tried. How often do you get to make the attempt?

And here, for your viewing pleasure, are some pictures courtesy of our friend Jay:

Outside the Big Texan

Signing the release forms

The steaks cooking

Hearing the Rules

The Challenge!

The end of the line

Our shirts


Leaving with our heads held high

4 comments:

whitney said...

You guys are goofballs. Between four grown men none of you won? tsk tsk.

Really, though...way to go! I can't even imagine eating half way through that. I'm convinced it was darn painful!

whitney said...

...not to mention The Big Texan made bank on y'all. just sayin'...

Danielle Green said...

You guys did pretty good but I do have to say other than your jaw that must have really hurt your wallet!

Smiley Family said...

I can honestly say that that is something I will never attempt in my lifetime. I'm not even the slightest bit tempted. But, hey, to each their own. Right?