Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The DQ Nazi


I take my ice cream very seriously. VERY seriously. So when it comes to partaking in the pleasure of this sub-zero calf nourishment, I have a tendency to be pretty picky.



Now rewind several years to a brief time that I lived in the greater St. George area. While down there, I had the great pleasure to work with a young man, whose parents happened to own the local Dairy Queen. Because of this connection, any time that I frequented the DQ, I was given the employee discount of 50% off. I ate a lot of ice cream there.



During that time, I learned to fine-tune the infamous Blizzard Treat to the exact specifications that made my palette dance. Specifically, I typically order a Chocolate Hawaiian Blizzard. The Hawaiian has pineapple, coconut and banana, but unlike the Island version, it doesn't have nuts in it. Also, it is typically served with Vanilla, but I found that Chocolate takes it to a whole new level of awesomeness.




So, back to Texas, where I am currently biding my time. We have found that Dairy Queen happens to be quite the common landmark in Texas. In fact, it is one of only 4 major chain restaurants in town.

We have been going there almost every other day, typically it is for a Blizzard.

However, we learned quickly that this particular Dairy Queen is the home of the DQ Nazi!



I have met a lot of people in this world. I have met a lot of people in the Customer Service industry. However, in all this time, I have never met a person with poorer customer service skills than this Gem of an Employee.

She is an older lady, with what sounds like a high-pitched smoker's coughing voice. She has a gift for rolling her eyes at you and making you feel about 2 inches tall. She seems to get along wonderfully well with her fellow coworkers...but if you are a customer...expect no respect.

Here is just a sampling of some of the events we have seen since meeting the DQ Nazi, (by the way...all of her responses were yelled unless otherwise noted):

To one of my coworkers when he asked for a Root Beer Freeze: "I don't know how to do that!"

To someone in the drive-thru: "Shut up! I told you to wait! I'll be with you in a minute!"

To another coworker: "We don't have any ice cream!"

One other coworker: "Don't pay now, I'll get all your orders!"

To me, (when I asked for a Chocolate Hawaiian Blizzard): "We don't have any chocolate!"

When I asked her if she could put chocolate syrup in it, she responded with a "grumph" and a roll of her eyes: "Well...yes."

That chocolate syrup conversation has actually happened twice. The same way both times.

And she has started adding nuts to my Blizzards too.

I don't know why it is...but I think that she is one of the biggest reasons we keep going back there!

4 comments:

Smiley Family said...

Oh wow, she sounds lovely. I probably would have boycotted the DQ after the first bad experience (at least that particular location!) Then again, I couldn't actually tell you the last time I ate at a DQ.

rsheedy said...

Hilarious! Is that picture really the actual DQ Nazi herself? I love that you documented it! You definitely need to continue returning, and keep us apprised of the goings-on. Very entertaining!

Also, when did you live in/near St. George? I have no memory of this!

marynott said...

HAHAHA Thank you for that story. I really enjoyed it. I hate people like that. but when I say hate.. I secretly mean love

whitney said...

Look at you all postin' up a storm.

boo! for mean DQ ladies! I can't believe she's actually tell a customer to shut up! That's horrible!