Tuesday, June 02, 2009

And Then Back Again


So where is Zach this week? Well, here is a quick synopsis of my latest week.
First of all, I spent one more week in Aberdeen Scotland after visiting Loch Ness. Aberdeen really is a cool town that probably gets overlooked all the time with everything else that Scotland has to offer.
This is evidenced by the fact that it is REALLY hard to find any souvenirs there. (Side Note: The most requested item I have been asked for is a kilt...did you know that a kilt costs between $400 and $1000? Yeah...neither did I.)

On Saturday morning I flew out of Aberdeen and headed to Amsterdam! Sadly, I was only able to see the airport.
But it is a pretty cool airport.
Of course, it wouldn't be Amsterdam without the obligatory tulips.
And it wouldn't be a true "Where is Zach" blog without a side profile of the author.
After my adventures there, I was hopping across The Pond to Detroit!
It's always good to step back onto American soil. Or at least layers of concrete, iron, rebar, carpeting/tile, all piled above said American soil.

Detroit was my last stop before heading home to Utah. I have to tell you that I am truly humbled and grateful for the blessing I have had on my last two trips to fly First Class. I never really thought much of it when I didn't know what I was missing out on. Ignorance really is bliss. But the service of the flight attendants was really appreciated.
Finally I was able to see one of my all-time favorite scenes in the world. Flying into Salt Lake.

No really...one of my favorites. If you have ever flown into the airport from the North, just as the sun is setting on the right side of the plane, and you look out over the Great Salt Lake, you will know what I mean. I have been lucky enough to see some of the most beautiful places in the world. But I would contend that there are few natural wonders that can rival the sheer beauty of the sun reflecting the entire sky in the face of that lake, with several mountain ranges cascading over each other into the horizon.
I wish I could take credit for this picture...but that belongs to this artist.
But it is good to be home. I look forward to hanging out here in Utah for AT LEAST 4 days before jumping the state again.
While I am here, I did get to go another of my favorite places:

This is J-Dawgs. If you like hot dogs and you live near Provo, you HAVE to try this place. Call me if you need directions and someone to go with you. And Thank You Hayley for inviting me!

On a final note, I saw something that made me glad I was an American while I was in Amsterdam. Located all throughout the airport are these kiosks to collect money for various charities. I noticed that consistently, all of the kiosks had far more American Dollars than any other currency. A lot of people may think we are arrogant and prideful...but no one can deny that whenever someone is in need, the People of America are the first to respond.

7 comments:

rsheedy said...

Such an exciting life you lead! I would love to visit all those places. Well, except for Detroit, lol.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Glad you're back safe and sound. Speaking of kilts, I bought one once at D.I.. I should have kept it, but I think I returned it back to D.I. after I was done wearing it. Bummer.
I really am envious of all of the places that you get to see with your job. It's pretty cool.

Crazy Lifferths said...

You are a traveling maniac Zach! I am in love with all those tulips, if you go back, someone you will bring all of those back to me, but me is here in Arizona :)

Monica Lifferth said...

Seriously, someday you will be able to tell all these cool adventures to your grandkids. They are going to think you are so cool. Little will they know, but we won't tell them. :)

lasantine said...

You know, if you ever want to send Z-man a souvenir, he collects postcards. (they are easy to store, not to mention cheeeeeeeeeeap!)

whitney said...

You are seriously the busiest guy ever. I don't know how you're not dead on your feet w/all the traveling. Poor boy.

But don't think I feel sorry for you...'cause I don't. Pity is really just jealousy in camo.

the cute pink kind of camo, that is.

sam gurevich said...

Zach! lookin great!!!