Thursday, January 10, 2008

Torn


I find myself torn. Let me start off by saying that I am 100% in support of the Writer's Guild strike that is going on right now. I truly feel that they deserve a bigger piece of the entertainment pie than they are currently receiving.It takes a lot of work and creativity to come up with the genius that goes behind most of our television shows. They deserve to be compensated with residual income just as the executives do.
I applaud David Letterman and his company, Worldwide Pants, on being pretty much the only production company willing to work with and meet the demands of their writers. They were able to negotiate to satisfactory terms, an agreement where the writers were able to come back to work and the show is able to go on.However, the reason that I am torn is because the glaring tocsin resulting in this strike just raised its anathematized head: Reality TV.I HATE reality TV. I loathe reality TV. Reality TV is the absolute worst creation of entertainment ever. I know my attitude is supercilious...however, those are my feelings. I hate reality TV.

So as long as the strike continues...reality TV gains strength and popularity. However, to show my support of the WGA, I am committing a personal mission to not purchase any DVDs until the strike comes to an end. To most of you, this isn't that big of a deal...normal people purchase DVDs maybe once every few months. However, for me, buying DVDs is like a normal household purchasing a loaf of bread, a container of milk and a stick of butter.This is going to be hard.
In the meantime...while I am torn...enjoy this video which is a mime of Natalie Imbruglia's megahit: TORN

12 comments:

Nathan and Esther said...

I strongly applaud your efforts, and I fully agree with you that the writers definetly deserve more. I really just don't get why they don't get more. They are obviously the brains behind the operation, because without them the shows come to a grinding halt. I would think that those in charge would catch on quicker, but I guess not. Anyway good luck with your DVD freeze.

Max Power said...

So proud of you Zachy! We're doing the same. We still do Netflix though. (I don't know if that is contradictory to the strike. I need to do some research.) That might work for your DVD needs. I think they still have an 8-at-a-time plan. You should get them pretty quick too. I'll bet they have a distribution center near you.

Rent Eagle vs. Shark. A great movie we saw tonight.

Erik can give you a list of shows to watch. You might like MI5. A British show that even I find interesting.

Zachary said...

I forgot to mention that this boycott on DVDs also extends to my new obsession with Blu-Ray. Monica...let me know what you find out about Net Flix and the Strike!

Mark Nott said...

The writers strike is as lame as Blu-ray vs HD DVD and Britney vs K. Fed. Let the writers have their money, let Blu-ray win, and give the kids to a family of monkeys

Max Power said...

Erik says that Netflix has Blu-Ray.

whitney said...

Wow, not buying anymore dvds...I'm impressed. While I honestly can't remember the last time we bought a movie, I know for you it's as common as breathing and eating. I totally agree about the writers getting more money-they're the ones that make the shoes funny, for heaven's sake!

Loved the Natalie Imbruglia youtube. Very funny.

On a side note-are you going to ruby's inn? Spence and I probably are (and little ones, obviously) and we'd love to see you!

Max Power said...

I emailed you more detail but I found this:

According to the Guild, a percentage of the initial payment for a show is allocated to a flat fee for rental rights. Writers are not paid separately for rental use. (Parenthetically, it would be impossible to enforce.)

I think renting is okay.

The Carter Family: said...

Hey, I will totally go on a buying DVD strike with you. Oh, wait...I think I am already on one, we just don't buy dvd's. I don't know why-I think it's because we have so much on DVR that we can't keep up! But the writer's should definitely profit! And it would be great to see you at the retreat! It is the same weekend as Easter-now that is pretty cool. BTW, we looked up what determined Easter and it said to look for the first full moon after the official date of spring and it is on the Sunday on or after the first full moon. Hmmm, I had no idea!

Craig Lifferth said...

I love reality TV shows! They are so cool and some day I will be a star of one. You watch I'll be there and when I win, I'll pay the writers the money they want and we can get back to Thursday Night done right. You know it the best show The Office! I've watched all my seasons on DVD and I'm ready for some new shows.

Zachary said...

Amen Craig...Amen Brother!

Crazy Lifferths said...

I applaud you...however, I have to STRONGLY disagree with you on the reality TV thing. I like it, I find it entertaining. To each his own I guess.

Yelyah's Corner said...

I LOVE THE TORN FLICK!