Tuesday, January 05, 2010

At A Loss


I find myself at a loss right now. This morning, my Mom called to let me know that her mother, my Grandmother, had passed away during the night. If pressed to put into words what my feelings were/are, I really don't think I could adequately describe them.

My Grandmother was an amazing woman. By far the greatest cook I have ever known. She has a recipe for rolls that is legendary. People across the nation have requested it as she shared the recipe with her children, they with their children, and then ten fold as these rolls started showing up at extended family gatherings and finally ward parties. And I don't blame them...they were really good rolls.

My Grandmother Byers was a tiny woman...but you didn't mess with her. She is the only one of my grandparents to ever hit me...and I was 25 or 26 at the time, easily almost a foot taller and 50 pounds heavier than her. My Mom and I were out there loading up a truck with some stuff to bring back, and she [my Grandmother] told me to make sure I helped my Mom unload the truck when we got back. I made an off-handed quip about being too tired and letting her do it on her own, and my Grandmother hauled back and smacked me. She had a good forearm.

She has also been heard to say about someone who was still asleep, that she is going to "jack him up".

I'm convinced that in her younger years she was a force to be reckoned with. She certainly was someone who stood her ground and voiced her opinion in her later years.

One thing we learned quickly as grandchildren was that she was GrandMOTHER, not Grandma, not Grams, nothing short of proper respect. However, even though she seemed a "stickler", through her actions, she earned the respect that she asked for.

My Grandmother was brilliant. I remember conversing with her on a wide variety of topics. Whenever we went to visit, she was always ready to talk with us about pretty much anything. I don't know why it sticks out in my mind, but one of my fondest memories was her telling us about the National Geographic Knowledge Bee. It was a competition for school kids to show off their knowledge, on a national level. Basically at the time, it was a "Jeopardy" for kids. She went on and on about how each winner had trained and studied.

I remember when the Olympics were in L.A., and the torch was carried across America, it happened to pass through Vernal, UT. I was staying with my Grandparents at the time and they took me to see it.

Her house was ALWAYS a house of order. Everything was always well-organized and clean. Even after the tornado that is grandchildren came through, everything thing seemed to be in its proper place.

One of the small things that I attribute to my Grandmother, is her introducing me to my favorite breakfast cereal of all time: Cracklin' Oat Bran. I remember the first time I ever had it was in her kitchen out in Dillon Colorado. It is still one of those foods that from the first bite, instantly transport me back to a more simple time.

She has been very ill for quite some time now. We have all known that this was coming. Perhaps that is why I am at a loss for words to describe how I feel. I've been preparing myself for this for awhile...and now that it has happened, I'm not sure how to react.

I was blessed with the opportunity to say good bye to her. On Sunday my Mom, my two brothers, Noah and Gabe, and my sister Bridgett and I, drove out to Rangely, CO where my Grandmother was staying at my Uncle Mark's. We had been told that it would be soon, so we all made a day trip out there and were able to visit with her for a few short hours. She slept most of the time, but we were able to see her awake...and she knew we were there. It was a special gift to be there that day.

My Grandmother was one of the greatest women to ever be born. She raised wonderful children and taught them correct principles. She supported her husband in all he did. She didn't voice it as often as other thoughts and feelings, but she lived the Gospel with everything she had to offer. She knew that our Savior lives. She loved her children and they knew it. She loved her grandchildren, and they knew it. She loved her great-grandchildren, and as well as they were able to understand...they knew it.

She was loved and she will be missed.

13 comments:

whitney said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, honey. So, so sorry. (((hugs)))

All About M.E.('s) said...

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandmother. Thanks for sharing your memories-it was a very nice tribute.

Unknown said...

Amen.

Crazy Lifferths said...

Zach,
I am SO sorry for your loss. It is never easy. Thankfully you took that trip to go see her, and how wonderful it is htat you have such good memories of her.

Gretch said...

Zach you do have a way with words. Loved it. And Loved her! Thank you for stating what we all feel.

Esther said...

I'm sorry for you loss, too, but thanks for sharing your memories, also.

Monica Lifferth said...

Wonderful memories. Grandmothers are wonderful things. It's hard to say goodbye.

Gage Family said...

so sorry :(

Anonymous said...

I too am very sorry Zach. Your grandmother was a very wonderful woman and I always enjoyed visiting with her. I agree that she was an awesome cook. That's so nice that you were able to see her last week. We'll be thinking of you.
Aunt Marilyn

Noah said...

I remember Cracklin Oat Bran in Dillon, Colorado too! Everything else you said was spot on too.

Unknown said...

Sending a Hug your way Zach!! So sorry for your loss...

Smiley Family said...

Sorry for your loss. I know I met your Grandma and saw her at several farewells and homecomings, but I really didn't know her. But, based on how great your mom is and how much I admire her, I am sure the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Great tribute. Also, I have made her rolls and they are tasty!

brynn said...

Hi cousin i really enjoy reading your blogs they are so heartfelt i don't remember grandma Byers but it sounds like she was really wonderful. Love ya Cousin