Friday, January 09, 2009

Hi! Remember Me?


Ok, ok...so it has been a while...a long while. I'm sorry. I am going to try and be better at this. Truth be known, I have been busy. When last we spoke, I was on my way to Scotland.

I spent two fantastic weeks in Scotland. I was sent over there because we had a whole bunch of equipment that needed to be tested and inventoried before the end of the year. It wasn't all fun and games...we worked 12-14 hours every day and only had one day off for the full 14 days. We have a facility there that we share with other departments in the overall mother company. Because of this, I was able to see a lot of the different aspects of the oil industry, at least the supply side of it. I was also able to work with a lot of very interesting people. In the UK, whenever a crane is being used, they have very strict laws about who can load and hook up the crane. At our yard, there were only two guys that were allowed to do this. No one knew where they were from because they spoke some "weird" language. They also looked and dressed alike. So I started calling them Thing 1 and Thing 2.They were some really nice guys. I did find out that they were from Lithuania.
I also got to listen to a lot of Scottish radio. It really isn't that exciting. They play 90% American pop music, and then 10% other. I think I heard The Killers' song "Human" probably 30-40 times a day. It seemed to be about every 5th song. I also found out that Duffy is white. I had no idea.

Probably the craziest thing that happened while I was there, was renting a car and learning to navigate the roundabouts of Aberdeen. Of course they gave me a stick shift. And they all drive on the "other" (wrong) side of the road. But we survived and had no accidents. I think there was some Divine help with that one.
The one day that we DID have off, we went to church and then went out to a little town called Stonehaven. This place was amazing! First of all, it is right down on the shore of the North Sea. There happened to be a storm coming in. The sea crashes up against a 10 foot retaining wall that stretches the span of the whole city. Because of the storm, the waves were so huge that they were crashing 10 feet ABOVE this retaining wall. I can't adequately describe the sheer power that Mother Nature was displaying there. It was awesome. In the purest sense of the word: Awesome.

We also got to see this castle:
It was really amazing to see this. If you are curious, it is called Dunnottar Castle. I recommend you look it up and read the history of it. Fascinating.

There was a lot more that went on there, but I will have to save that for another post. After I got back from Scotland, I was able to spend the Holidays with my family. It was one of the best Christmas and New Years Celebrations ever. I seriously have a wonderful, wonderful family.

One sad note, (well,depending on who you ask), over the Holidays, my brother Noah and his family moved to Indiana for a new job. Although I am very excited for him, I am also sad. I really enjoyed the fact that they were close and easy to visit. But I wish my brother well. He is an amazing man and his new company is very lucky to have him.

But on to the present...I am in Trinidad! I got an e-mail the other day asking for volunteers to go to Trinidad for work. I flew down on Wednesday. Did you know that Trinidad is the southern most Caribbean Island? I haven't seen Jack Sparrow yet...but I am keeping my eyes open.
Excuse me...CAPTAIN Jack Sparrow.

Did you know you can sunburn in January? Enjoy the snow HA HA HA HA!!! Hello 85 degrees!

14 comments:

rsheedy said...

Wow, you have so many exciting things going on! I love it. I'm also a little bit jealous. :)

The Lund Five said...

I wish I was in the Carribian right now. I could sure use the vacation!!! Especially since Dave has been gone for work for 2 weeks and I have been here with screaming onery kids. For the most part they are pretty good, but they have there days!

Monica Lifferth said...

you suck! Okay, not really. But it's not very nice to rub it in. :)

Mommy Melissa said...

I for one am hapy for you. You sound like you are having a great time and enjoying the curveballs life throws. Have fun in Trinidad.

Gretch said...

How fun!! Be SAFE! I can't wait to hear all about it.

Laura F said...

What a perfect time of year for that trip! Hope it's awesome!

Anonymous said...

I would love to see your passport and all of the many stamps you have in it. I don't even have a passport. Something I wish to change this year. :o) Glad to hear your doing well. Stay safe as you travel abroad. We miss you back here in Utah. :o)

whitney said...

yada yada yada... scotland... trinidad... blah blah blah. Come on zach, tell us somthing *really* interesting.

;)

Craig Lifferth said...

Dude! Amazing, just amazing. Hope all is well over there and you enjoy your time while your are gone. Remember that we no wait I miss you.

Unknown said...

Yeah, You Suck!!!! But, we love you anyway... soak up some sun for us, while we are here hacking away with winter illnesses.

The Wright's said...

I really wish I could be there with you. I hear the diving is amazing. Of course, you aren't certified. Better get that done before Cozumel!

Chrissy said...

I hope you took a lot of photos. I would love to see them.

Momma Mimi said...

Hows your travels you lucky devil! I miss you! We need to play, soon! Ever this way - we'd love to have you!!

All About M.E.('s) said...

I'm glad that you have a day off here and there so that you can do a little sightseeing. It sounds like a very interesting job.