Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Real Post


Hi! How are ya?
Ok, so I want to apologize for the last post. Due to the fact that I currently do not have Internet access at my apartment, it has been slightly difficult to get around to posting on my blog. However, I was looking at my sweet Helio 3G Phone that surfs the Net and thought, "Why don't I post on my blog using my phone?" Trust me...the thought was genius. The execution...not so much. Obviously I am not as cool as my cousin Matt. Maybe if I had attempted to post from a funeral instead of sitting on the toilet...
I do want to publicly thank those of you who still commented on my blank post though. Comments on my blog are pretty much the only validation I get in life...so I greatly appreciate it. Thank you!


So in case you haven't heard...I am back in Utah!Yes...that disturbance you felt in The Force...that was me re-entering the Bubble. Can I tell you how happy and excited I am to be here? Seriously...this is one of the greatest places to live. Being this much closer to family makes it all the better.
In fact...today I was able to attend the "farewell" of my cousin Laura's son, David. (Side note: He is going to be one fantastic missionary! Look out Samoa!) Afterwards, we all gathered together at their home to enjoy a wonderful meal and each others' company. Several of us gathered around the shade of one tree and were visiting, and the comment came up that we have "too many cousins". We started joking about voting off some of the cousins so it would be easier to keep track of. We started throwing out names of people to vote off, (mostly people that weren't there to defend themselves), but every single name that was suggested, we started talking about them and telling stories that we remember about them, and inevitably vetoed the votes. Every single person we could name, we had wonderful memories and feelings for. I tell you what...I have the greatest family ever, both immediate and extended.
Speaking of immediate family...I am an uncle again! My sister Gretchen gave birth to a little girl a few days ago. I am very excited to see my new niece.
Now that I am back in Utah...I have started a new job. Can I tell you that this is THE GREATEST JOB EVER? No really. It is. My new job consists of so many varying responsibilities and areas of knowledge that I will never, ever get bored. Not only will I be traveling around the WORLD ensuring that equipment is working properly, but within that scope, I will be dealing with everything from electronic wiring to man-handling rough terrain equipment in all sorts of environments. Last week we had a lecture on wave theory and the differences between electromagnetic and mechanical waves...and in the same day we started first aid and CPR training.
We also found out that when we go to Scotland for our off-shore training, we will also be trained as fire fighters.Can you just see my Man Points skyrocketing upwards?
One of the first things that we were asked to do was to get some steel-toe boots for work, (and the company paid for them). The first day I wore them, I felt like drinking milk straight from the container, driving around and NOT asking for directions, and then spend time NOT listening when girls were speaking to me. I felt like a Real Man.
In case you were wondering, if you had carried on a conversation with me on Friday afternoon/evening, it quite possible could have gone like this:
You: "Hello Zachary!"

Me: "Well Hello (fill in name/relation here)! How are you doing?"

You: "I am doing well! Thank you for asking. So what did you do today?"

Me: "Why it's funny that you ask...today I certified as a Rough Terrain Forklift Operator."

You: "Wow Zachary! You are amazing!"

Me: "I certainly am."

Now if we could have had a similar conversation last night, it could have gone like this:

You: "Hello Zachary!"

Me: "Well Hello (fill in name/relation here)! How are you doing?"

You: "I am doing well! Thank you for asking. So what did you do today?"

Me: "Why it's funny that you ask...today I certified to have my HAM Radio license."

You: "Wow Zachary! You are quite accomplished!"

Me: "I certainly am."

Again...that is just a sample of what could have transpired between us.

So yes...in the last few days, I certified as a rough terrain forklift operator and earned my HAM Radio license (I get my call sign on Monday or Tuesday! Then I can get my license plates! Geeks will inherit the Earth!). Utah has been good to me!

So if you ever find yourself in a quandary involving a rough terrain forklift and/or a HAM Radio...you know who to call.

As a final note...I have to say that I am quite impressed with the lack of interest by most parties in setting me up on blind dates. Thank you...I actually really appreciate that. There are a few offers that have come through, and I have accepted some. If anyone has any good date ideas...I am always looking for something to supplant the "Dinner and Movie" standby. So let your creativity flow!

20 comments:

The Carter Family: said...

Yeah! for being back in Utah and Yeah! for all your certifications, although I don't understand them and I don't think they will benefit me at all if I ever need your help...but yeah! anyways!!!

rsheedy said...

Woohoo! We're so glad to have you back in town. You do have a cool family; I kinda like those folks.

Monica Lifferth said...

Glad you are back! Maybe we'll see you more often? We missed you at the cousing get together. :)g

The Lund Five said...

Well, now that you mention it I do have someone I want to set you up with. Just Kidding!!! We are so glad that you are back in Utah! We sure missed you. Sounds like an interesting job you have there. Hope to see you more often!

Mark Nott said...

Forklift power keeps me safe from sin

Gretch said...

YAY! You blogged! So I want to know if my name came up to vote off??? If it did, I certainly hope you voiced your objection! So why do they call it a "Ham radio"? I've always wondered that.

You sound happy, I'm glad.

Alternative polka said...

Zach I'm jealous of your new found awesome skills. and if you want some good date ideas, ask me back when I was in high school. lately I've had close to no good ideas.

Mommy Melissa said...

Glad Utah is treating you well! I'd rather avoid the state for a while other than visits to family myself, but somebody's got to like it I guess. Boe is a HAM, too. He got certified about 9 months ago. He doesn't have a radio though, so he hasn't put it into use. Fun stuff.

Smiley Family said...

I am so sad that I missed the "vote off" conversation - it sounds like a good one...hmmmm, was I voted off?? Anyway, we are all so glad to have you back in Utah, even if you do flake out on awesome cousin parties!

The Wright's said...

You are so accomplished.

bTW - did you get a new cell phone number? I texted you and you didn't reply. So unlike you, but then again, now you are busy certifying in stuff...

Craig Lifferth said...

Its about time you updated the blog. Sorry about last Friday. I didn't get off work until later but we still need to do it.

Julene said...

We're so glad you're back, Zach! And happy birthday to ya!

The Bagleys said...

So do you still listen to the Village People?

Laura F said...

So glad you're back! Justin and I took a small picnic on the lift the other day at Sundance, then walked down the mountain. It's a beautiful time of year for it, and kind of a fun date.

When will we see you?

Chrissy said...

I love your posts that say what your up to. You do a great job at making your blog interesting.

You can admit it I know you guys were totally talking about me!

Becca said...

What kind of job did you say you have? Very interesting. The only thing I'm certified in is how to spray mace at a dog trying to bite me. Mabye I do need to move to the city!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sonja said...

As always I loved reading this Zach! I love how much you love your family and your new job and Utah. Can't wait to read more adventures in the life of Zach!

nikki said...

Oh my goodness! We DID have that conversation! (Well, the first anyone.... as for the HAM radio, aren't you accomplished!)

whitney said...

I don't know, Zach...rumor has it all the out-of-state cousins were voted out. You move back to Utah and get all hoity-toity on me. Coolness levels are definitely dropping. ;);) Glad you're back to the blogging world. I missed you.