Wednesday, February 20, 2008

V...is for VICTORY


Towards the end of the second century before Christ the Savior was born, a little-known Rhodian sculptor in an obscure corner of the Greek islands, was putting the finishing touches on what would later become one of the most famous sculptures of this time. Still a nascent art technique, the marble carving and shaping would set the precedence for would-be masters for generations to come. The title of this piece is the Winged Victory of Samothrace (Named such for its discovery off the Samothrace islands). This image was captured forever in stone with a look of defiance into the challenging winds of toil, strife, embattlement and invasion. In what could only be described in modern terms as a "marketing ploy", this piece was used as an icon for the conquering navy after several of their more harrowing battles, the Winged Victory was always prominently displayed by the conquering forces as a badge of triumphancy. Although many of the original pieces have been lost, it's solid stance in the path of even the most fracas donnybrook still impresses art patrons to this day.

Speaking of victory...the Writer's Strike is officially OVER!!! And as an added bonus, Toshiba announced that they will be discontinuing the HD-DVD format, thus ensuring Blu-Ray the sole monopoly on high definition movie formats for years to come!

8 comments:

Mark Nott said...

Now we just need the pricing to come down on all the equipment. I remember paying $300 for a DVD player once. Patience patience

Nathan and Esther said...

That was pretty neat about that statue, I didn't know that. Thank heavens that the writers strike is over. I want to watch a new episode of the office!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

ZACH'S ABC'S
A=AUSPICIOUS, AMAZING, AWESOME!
B=BLUSHING BOY WHO HAS BIG TIME BLOGULARITY AND BLESSES BURRITOS!
C=CALLIPYGIAN SINCE 1975!
D=DEFINITELY DASHING,AND NOT DANGEROUS!
E=EARLY TO RISE(5 O'CLOCK HOUR...EWWW!)
F=FUN,FUN, FUN, AND FABULOUS FLOWERS!
G=GOLD DIGGER WHO CAN GOLF!
H=HEAVEN SENT!
I=INTELLIGENT!
J=JUST WHAT THE DOCTOR ORDERED!
K=KING OF HOT DOG'S
L=LYCHNOBITE WHO IS A GREAT LISTENER!
M=MARVELOUS MAN!
N=NICE NOTES!
O=ONLY THE BEST KEPT SECRET!
P=PEOPLE PERSON WHO PASSES OUT PASTE!
Q=QUICK TO MAKE PEOPLE SMILE!
R=ROBERS ROOSTER WHO HAS RAVING REVIEWS, AND IS A REPUBLICAN!
S=SANTA ANA'S SUPER SEMINARY TEACHER WHO IS A SPARKLER!
T=TAHITIAN NONI TASTER!
U=ULTRA AMAZING!
V=VICTORIOUS IN EVERY WAY!
W=WISHING FOR WILD WAFFLES!
X=X-TRA HANDSOME!
Y=YEAR OF THE RABBIT!
Z=ZACHTASTIC!

The Lund Five said...

I too am glad the writers strike is over and I can start watching new episodes of my favorite shows. The only good thing about the writers strike is that I got to catch up on shows that I usually have to wait and check out from the library.

rsheedy said...

Yay, Blu-Ray! Too bad for TV though...I had to move on with my life.

Craig Lifferth said...

Its finally over and now I can enjoy The Office on April 10th! I think Esther and I should start an Office Fan Blog. Zach you can set that up for us and let us know how it goes...

whitney said...

Yay for new shows. I was, heaven forbid, actually starting to do something productive in the evenings. *phew* Now I can get back to my regularly scheduled vegging.

Anonymous said...

I definately prefer the home theater to going to the movies. At the movies there are way too many annoying people that can't stop talking and bumping your seat. It usually isn't worth the hassle.