Monday, February 11, 2008

Blogularity


Recently a friend pointed out that I must be “popular” because my last few posts have generated a lot of comments. I pointed out to her that it is only because I have REALLY awesome family and friends. We went on to discuss this “blogularity” (popularity + blog). I decided that I wanted to do a “Shout Out” to my family and friends who are always there to make me feel good.
I seriously have the most wonderful family and friends. In fact, a little over a year ago I was talking to my brother-in-law Erik about a girl that I was interested in. The topic of it being serious came up and he asked me if he needed to give her the “In-Law Talk”. I asked him what that was, and he went on to explain that when he married my sister, he soon realized that he had won the Jackpot in the In-Law Lottery. He said that anyone lucky enough to marry into this family wins. I think most of the people who have married in to the Lifferth Clan would agree that this is a pretty amazing family. So without further adieu, I give you the Blog Shout Out to some of my favorites: (chosen in order by the comments made in my latest entry)

Esther: Esther is a wonderful cousin who has always been fun to hang out with. I remember the time she let me ride her horse down in Henrieville, (whatever happened to that horse?). Anyway, I was riding him around, when for no reason at all, he started bucking. I can happily say that I rode him to a standstill and didn’t get thrown off. But afterwards, Esther looked at me and deadpanned: “What did you do to him? He’s never done that to anyone before.” (That was the last time I was ever on a horse...I need to fix that.) She is also one of the most scrappy basketball players I have ever come up against. More than once in that little church gym, she schooled me in a game of roundball.

Whitney: Ahh…Whitney…by far one of my favorite recent additions to the Family. I remember the first time I ever met her. We were all at one of Uncle Richard and Aunt Carol’s famous Singles’ Dinners. There were quite a few new girls that Spencer and friends had invited. At the end of it, after most of them had left, Aunt Carol asked me if any of them had caught my eye. I replied, “If that Whitney girl were about 8 years older, she would be a fun one to get to know.” Fortunately Spencer recognized how cool she was, and shortly thereafter, she joined the family. She has jumped in with no problem at all. Her whit (get it? Whitney…Whit…I’m hilarious), and sarcasm are a perfect fit to the mold. I seriously enjoy every conversation I have with her. Amazing girl.

Emily: Emily is one of those quiet giants that everyone always looks up to and admires. She always stood out to me because unlike everyone around her, she was very calm and mild-mannered, (whereas the rest of us were and still are, quite boisterous). She is a great example of strength in humility and patience. She also has a surprisingly quick tongue and dry sense of humor. She also married a fantastic addition to the family. I really like Dave and I always look forward to seeing these two together. It’s obvious they really love each other. I hope my someday-marriage is as good as theirs.

Scott B.: Technically, by blood and genetics, Scott isn’t family, but as one of my all-time favorite mission companions, I count him as such. Scott and I had a blast in Russia together. He was my first junior companion. I had only been out for 3 months when we got put together. But despite neither of us speaking the language or having any clue what we were doing, those were some of the greatest (and most productive) times of my mission. He has since become one of my dearest friends whom I can always rely on for anything. A fantastic and truer friend, I doubt you can find. And he has a fabulous head of hair.

Craig: I could write pages and pages about what a wonderful person Craig is. I had the privilege of being his roommate before his mission. We had so much fun together. Not only is he one of the greatest basketball players I have ever seen, but his dry sense of humor and sarcasm is so fantastic, it is unbelievable. Whereas some of us throw out joke after joke after joke, hoping that two or three out of a dozen will be funny, Craig delivers the perfect line at the perfect time every time. He is also a Spiritual giant to be watched as a true example of someone living the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He can always make you smile, and he is just an all-around wonderful person.

Monica: Now I have a fantastic Sister Monica, but this tribute goes to Cousin Monica who married into the family through Aaron. Ever since the day I met her, I have liked Monica. She is unbelievably amazing. If you knew everything that she has done and continues to do on a regular basis, you would have to sit down and catch your breath. Not only is she fun and entertaining to talk to, she is extremely intelligent, sarcastic (in a charming way), a wonderful mother, a devoted wife, and her service to our country is commendable. I have never seen her down or sad in any way, and while devoting all of her attention to you, she is also always looking around to make sure that everyone in the surrounding area is happy. I don’t know how she does it. I really enjoy even the shortest amounts of time I get to see her and Aaron.

Hayley: Now, I have actually only known Hayley for a few weeks. We were introduced through Aunt Gretchen. However, it was quickly unearthed that Hayley is a spectacular young woman. I have had the pleasure to meet a LOT of people…but there have been very few that are as giving, compassionate, and overall selflessly-concerned-for-everyone-else-but-themselves as Hayley is. You’ll notice a few posts ago, I put up a picture of a Hot Dog Roller Machine…yeah…Hayley sent that to me. She totally surprised me with them. All I sent her were some crummy flowers, and to say thanks, she gave me the gift of Hot Dogs in my Bedroom. Not only is she generous and kind, she is also very fun to talk to. She is witty, sarcastic, funny, intelligent, and really loves life. If you ever need a cheer up…talk to her for 5 minutes and you will be loving life again.

Mindy: Who doesn’t love Mindy? Seriously…as the self-appointed Blog-Update-Police, she has kept us all on our toes making sure that everyone else knows what is going on in our lives. On top of that, she is raising two adorable girls, recently graduated AND started a new job, and all the while finds time to decorate her home with awesome iron-work pieces. (It wouldn’t surprise me to find out she welded that herself and just “said” that she bought it). Mindy and I have a special connection in that we went to the same elementary school in Kindergarten, only she went in the morning and I went in the afternoon. She doesn’t know this, but all growing up, whenever I heard how fabulous she was doing in school, I was secretly comparing myself to her and found I was constantly falling short of her accomplishments. She is a big reason that I did as well as I did in school…I was trying to be as good as she was. Always fun to talk to…very funny and intelligent…she is a great person to be looked up to. Also, her husband Marty is awesome! I love this guy. He and I are undefeated in Foozball competition. Good pick Mindy!

Sonja: You ever meet one of those people who you know you will never forget? Sonja is one of those people. I met her almost 10 years ago at the company we were both working for. I knew from the start two things about her: She was kind to a fault, and she always put EVERYONE else’s well-being ahead of her own. Sonja is one of the nicest people I have ever met in my life. She was friends with everyone and ALWAYS looking for ways to make everyone’s day just a little better. I don’t know how many free shirts, bags, and other marketing memorabilia she gave to me, just because. She gave me my first corporate T-shirt. I know it is a small thing…but it meant a lot to me. It was a badge of acceptance. She loves everyone she meets and accepts them no matter what. An amazing example of Christ-like love. I am a better person because of her.

Mom: Nothing I could write here would give an adequate tribute of this incredible, selfless, loving, wonderful woman. First of all, she brought me into this world. Everything I think of to write just falls short of the love and admiration that I have for my Mom. I will just say that if I can find a girl who ends up being even half the mother and wife that my Mom is to me and my Dad, then I will have done far better than I deserve. I know right now she is shaking her head saying, “Oh Zach”, but it is true. She is a wonderful example of someone who truly loves her family, her neighbors, and is striving every day to live as much like the Savior would have her live as she possibly can. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful woman.

Jed: Jed is one of those guys that everyone should know. He is the kind of guy that every other guy wants to be, and the kind of guy every girl hopes to find. (Sorry girls…he is taken.) First of all, the kid is strong. I remember growing up, he and my brother Noah would get into flexing contests. He had the biggest biceps of any teenager I ever saw. He could probably bench press a Buick. Any time we got together to hang out, it was always fun. He was always game to do whatever crazy scheme we cooked up. He is funny, sarcastic, witty, and just an all-around nice guy. He and I had the unique privilege of being in the MTC at the same time. We were together when we found out about Grandpa Lifferth passing away. That was a special bonding moment that I am forever grateful I got to share with my cousin Jed.

Jen: This is another one of those people that one paragraph is not sufficient to boast all the accolades I could write about her. Jen is my 4th sister. We have been not only cousins, but great friends for as long as I can remember. From little kids putting together our own rendition of “Aladdin”, to her ignoring me as I pounded on her front door a few weeks ago, I have ALWAYS enjoyed hanging out with her. We have traveled to so many different places and went on so many different adventures. She set me up on many memorable blind dates. Her husband Jeff is one of the greatest examples of a Son of God that you can find. Jen is intelligent, fun, sarcastic, caring, a great friend and a fantastic mother. I could go on…but you get the idea. Jen is absolutely amazing.

Jamie: Jamie is another example of quiet example. Slightly more outspoken than her sister Emily, she was still one of the quiet ones that I always admired. She has always been supportive of everyone and everything going on around her. She always participated, no matter how crazy we got, and she was always willing to jump in and make things fun. She is awesome to just talk to. I know that she is a fantastic wife to her husband Brian, (who by the way is also a great guy and one of my favorite people to see at reunions). Jamie can be described as a busy-body, always seeking to help anyone around her in any way that she can. I know she is a wonderful mother and aunt…and one of my all-time favorite cousins.

Mandy: What to say? Mandy and I have a sordid history that dates back well over a decade. I won’t go into the gritty details of our past relationship…but rather, I will skip to what an amazing person she is. She recently has had some major changes in her life that involve her and her children. Despite it all, she has kept her kids taken care of, put herself through school, worked full-time and still found time to help other members of her family. Selfless just barely begins to describe this wonderful daughter of our Heavenly Father. She never puts herself ahead of anyone, even if she doesn’t exactly like the person. Through some of the hardest trials anyone could have to go through, she has kept her head above water and still looks to the Lord for support. She KNOWS what is important and continues day after day to strive for it.

Karalee: Seriously…I don’t remember Karalee ever NOT being a part of the family. I know that she only married in a few years ago…but from Day 1, she has seamlessly fit in like she was born into this gallimaufry collection of personalities we call Family. She is funny, sarcastic, competitive, caring, smart, and just fun to talk to. I have always admired her patience with Scott and the rest of the family. She always wants to make sure that everyone is taken care of and is having a great time. She is a fabulous mother and a great friend. She gives a great haircut, even when (apparently) I have multi-colored hair and some birthmarks that drive her nuts. Karalee is an amazing person and I am forever grateful that she joined our family. She really just fits.

Becca: Becca is awesome. Growing up, I didn’t get to spend as much time hanging out with her as I could have…her brother Jed and I would usually take off as soon as we could ditch everyone else, but I always remember her dominant attitude and her fearless way of life. She never seemed to be afraid of anything. She doesn’t know this, but I REALLY admire her for her chosen career path. She went into a field that, frankly, not a lot of women venture into that I am aware of. But she sought out the education and has stuck with it. I always have admired the bold way she has taken on life. I know I don’t get to see her much these days…but I want her to know that I still admire her and think she is awesome.

So there you go. I have a pretty fantastic family. The list goes on and on…(over 250 people long), but I will end there. I love them all and I hope they know that.

19 comments:

Mandy said...

Wow, you had time on your hands today. That was very nice of you. Thanks for being such a great friend!

The Carter Family: said...

Gee, the ONE time I don't comment... :-)

The Lund Five said...

That was a very nice blog. I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for the things that you said. It was really nice.

Craig Lifferth said...

Thanks brother! You don't know how excited we are to come out and visit you. Daren and I can't stop talking about out trip out to California. You are the coolest guys that I know. Sure love ya

Nathan and Esther said...

You are so sweet Zach! I have to say that I have always looked up to you, because you were always so nice to me! It didn't matter that I was way younger than you, you always went out of your way to make me feel good about myself. Did I really say that to you about when my horse was bucking with you? how embarrasing! Don't worry though cus I'm pretty sure that shortly thereafter that horse bucked me off! I had to sell it my senior year of high school. I couldn't take it to college with me that was a very sad day. I started to notice a certain trait that seemed to exist among the cousins...sarcasm. Apparantely you need it to survive in this family! hahha You rock Zach!

Zachary said...

Don't worry Ruth...I love you too!

Monica Lifferth said...

I, like everyone else, can't figure out why you are not married yet. You are as sweet as pie. I don't think anyone has ever said such nice things about me. Thank you. What is great about you is when you meet someone you don't see a person, you see a being. You see the good in people and that my friend is an unbelievable trait.

The Carter Family: said...

ok, Zach, I forgive you! Hopefully you'll make it to the retreat this year?

whitney said...

Ahhh, Zach-you completely made my day! As if you weren't already one of my favorite cousins, you go and seal the deal by being so darn sweet! Of course I remember the first time I met you! You kept ranting about how you had figured out the key to What Women Want (and were so funny while doing it). We're still waiting for that one to pay off, huh? :P You're absolutely right, though. We have an amazing family and I'm absolutely the luckiest girl for marrying into it. I'm easily closer to so many of Spence's cousins than I am to any of mine. Ya'll are the best!

Becca said...

Zach I guess you are looking for some new blind dates from your family. j/k Anyways that was an awesome blog. We do have a great family even though I don't get to see everyone that much. You, Craig, and Daren better behave in CA. I can't help your record there!

Erica said...

Again, Zach...you don't know me, but what a great blog. Just like all your other blogs. You seem like a great person! How sweet of you to write all those nice things about everyone, especially my sister, Monica! Everything you wrote about her are SO True! Take care.

Anonymous said...

you make a me blush!

Zachary said...

Ruth - Yes...I am planning to be at the retreat...when do we reserve rooms for that?

Craig...Love you man! Can't wait to see you guys!

Esther - Sorry you had to sell the horse. And yes, you really said that to me. I thought it was hilarious. You rock!

Monica - No one has ever told me that I was as sweet as pie! I love it! Thank you!

Whitney - But I was right about the whole What Women Want thing, wasn't I?

Becca - We'll be good...but don't worry about any blind dates...I am good right now.

Erica - THANK YOU! You are welcome to visit my blog anytime! You do have a pretty great sister there.

Yelyah's Corner said...

A wise man once said "Comments that come from Blogularity prove that the writer contains some of that spectacular spectacular that common folk call personality combined with a 1/2 cup of achievement."

I too agree with this wise man, and shun all the otherwise.

Zach you are amazing!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the tribute. i have many a fond memory hanging out together at your house, snow or sunshine. zach, you are a fearless man and my personal hero. If we were drinkers I would sent out a toast to you.

HelloBridgett said...

Something has to be said about your "Blogularity" though. We have the same family, yet the most comments I have gotten on any one post has been like 7. You on the other hand, regularly get about 15 comments within 36 hours of your post.
(I'm not complaining about this; you have a great blog. I'm just saying: Don't sell yourself short.)

whitney said...

You know why you're so darn popular Zach? It's because you're one of the most loyal people I know. I know that you honestly want to know what I'm up to and that I can always depend on you to keep up w/my blog, so it makes me love you all the more and make an effort to keep up with yours. That's why we all love you so much-b/c you love us. Plus you're friggin' hilarious.

Smiley Family said...

Awwww...that was sweet! Seriously, you are such a great guy Zach and I was so excited to read that you are going to the retreat!! Can't wait to see you. One thing though, I think I have become more outspoken with age. I really do not think my immediate family would use the word 'quiet' to describe me. LOL

Sonja said...

Zach you just made my whole week! You are such a great guy and these are such nice tributes to the people you care about.

You'll be happy to know however that I"ve become much meaner and selfish in my old age :)