Friday, February 29, 2008

Bissextile...Not a Dirty Word


Happy February 29th! Thanks to the Gregorian Calendar, every 4 years we have an extra day tossed into the mix. Unless of course it is the beginning of a century that is NOT divisible by 400.If you really want to get messed in the calendar head, during the 1700's as an act of rebellion, the Swedes decided to throw in a February 30th. Obviously it didn't stick. But then again...they are Swedes...what have they ever done? (Just kidding)
Bissextile has Latin origins and references the extra day of Leap Year. I have a good friend who was born on the 29th of February. I also have a cousin with the same birthday. I wonder how many people get married on the 29th of February? I know guys would probably have no problem with that...the girls on the other hand...probably not huge fans of the idea.
Apparently, this is also the only day that "society" doesn't frown on girls proposing marriage to their beaus. So girls...get out there and propose!
(I know, I know...I am going to get a slew of comments pointing out that I have 365 other days of the year to be asking for a hand in marriage.)
Anyway...I just wanted to wish you all a wonderful, fantastic, bissextile 2008!

6 comments:

Craig Lifferth said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Craig Lifferth said...

I love leap year and it only comes once every 4 years. So go out there and do something wild!! I'm putting my underwear over my clothes and not under them.

The Lund Five said...

I seriously didn't know why we had a leap year. I just accepted the fact that we do. Today I was watching Ellen and I found out why. It takes the sun 365 days and a quarter to rotate around the earth. All of those quarters have to go somewhere so every 4 years we have an extra day. Today is one of my neighbors birthday. At the bus stop this morning her friend was complaining that she wasn't going to school because it was her birthday. I was thinking "If I only had a birthday every 4 years I wouldn't go to school either."

So when are you getting married? Anything happening with your "special friend" that you are taking to Ruby's Inn?

Smiley Family said...

One thing is for sure, if you were to get married on the 29th, your husband had better be getting you some extra special anniversary gifts! Brian would love it if he only had to worry about our anniversary every four years.

I also heard that you were bringing a "special" female friend to Ruby's Inn. This better not be a trick. You better not be bringing something with four legs ;)

Julene said...

I heard that in some villages, that if the guy said no when the girl asked him to marry her on leap day that he had to buy her something nice like a nice dress or something.

whitney said...

What!!! You have a "special friend" and I haven't heard about it?!? Not only that, but you dare introduce her to the Crazy Lifferths (don't worry, I married into Richard's family-I'm definitely included in that). Oh, and a happy bissextile (that just sounds like a fun word) to you.