Saturday, July 17, 2010

Random Thoughts


I'm currently sitting in the Days Inn of Galliano, LA. I've been down here for just over a week, enjoying the humidity and heat that is The South. Surprisingly, I have never actually been this far south in the States, and have quite enjoyed learning about this whole new world that, (frankly put), most people don't understand. The biggest thing that I have come to finally understand is the term, "Southern Hospitatlity". It is truly amazing how nice these people are.
The other day, my buddy and I were in the laundromat getting some clothes cleaned, and a couple of local ladies that were there doing their own loads came over and asked us if we would like to join them for lunch, as they had brough way too much for just themselves. We had just finished a big meal, so we politely declined. However, they came back 4 times to make sure we weren't hungry.

I was telling this story to one of the guys down here that we have been working with, a local, and he kind of laughed when I told him how genuinely NICE these ladies had been. He then said, "Well...we really don't know any other way to be down here."

It's really impressive how they have taken the Savior's teaching of "Love Thy Neighbor" to heart.

Some other things I have been up to include:
I've been on the Tabasco Tour (twice).


I've seen alligators in the wild.


I've been eaten by a large, novelty alligator.


Tried some amazing Cajun/Southern/Bayou foods, (i.e. crawfish, boudin, cracklins', shrimp, alligator, etc.)


And I am currently playing a role in helping stop some oil leak that occurred down here a couple months ago.


Yes, it's true...I lead quite the life.

From the personal aspect of life, you probably already know that I am once again single. I wish I could convey to you exactly what happened...but I am at a loss for words. There is nothing even remotely bad that I could say about Rebekah. She is a wonderful, caring, fantastic person. It just didn't work out.

Since then, I have taken a sabbatical from dating. A week or so after I became single, a friend of mine wanted to set me up. At first I was gung-ho about it, but after the initial suggestion, I started feeling sick about dating. It had nothing to do with the person I was getting set up with...heck, I didn't even meet her or learn much about her besides her name and age. I just couldn't stomach the idea of dating again.

I've tried. I have given everything I can think of to trying to find someone to settle down with. I have tried jumping in with both feet...I have tried being aloof. I have heard that it's when you DON'T expect it, that things happen, so I went about not expecting it. I have prayed for it, sought for it, chased it, and was chased by it. Save a two year break where I served a mission, I have given 18 years to the dating game...and I don't even want to know how much money I have spent.

So for now...I am done. If you ask to set me up, expect my answer to be "No". It is nothing personal...it's just the way things are for now. I need to do this for me.

That's all...I think I am going to read a book.

5 comments:

rsheedy said...

I've been wondering if the oil leak affected your work at all. You definitely lead an interesting life...I'd love to know more about your role in the resolution.

As for dating, I say first of all that you don't need to explain yourself to anybody. And second, marriage is only better than being single if you're married to the right person. You obviously haven't found anyone worthy of your awesomeness, so make the most of being single. Which I think you do really well, so keep it up. And rest assured that most of us are quite jealous of the crazy-cool life you lead!

Annie and Zeke Smyth said...

Zach, take it from an honest married person, on any given day we would trade an awesome life like yours for our boring lifes!!

Smiley Family said...

You definitely do lead a very interesting, fun, full life. Although I am not sure about eating alligator! But hey, to each their own.

whitney said...

Glad you got to enjoy the deep south for a bit. Nothing like seeing alligators in the wild.

As for the dating thing...bummer, dude. I can't say I blame you a bit for taking a break. Heaven knows if I wasn't such a flirt I would've thrown in the towel at 18.

Vashli said...

I agree wholeheartedly. Like, completely wholeheartedly. And yes, I realize that is redundant. Let's boycott dating together and just shoot things and eat. Does that sound good to you? And honey you KNOW I agree about the South. Dem's good peeps. Or shall I say, we's good peeps? :) ROLL TIDE ROLL!