Sunday, October 25, 2009

It's Called SWINE Flu


I find myself sitting over here in Scotland, watching the rain beat down on the window of the apartment, and watching "Mars Attacks" on TV. There really isn't much to choose from on TV tonight.

I was reading the news earlier, about everything going on in America, (my condolences to all of you for the media frenzy I am sure is still centering around the Balloon Boy), and realized that something is really bothering me about the news: The "H1N1" Virus.

From what I have read, people, specifically The Media, stopped referring to it as "Swine" Flu because it was apparently offensive to certain cultures. Swine isn't considered Kosher.

Well guess what! Neither is a disease that kills people.

I guess it really irked my ire because everyone ELSE in the world refers to it as the Swine Flu. Airports back and forth on these continents have huge signs talking about washing hands so you don't get or pass the Swine Flu. Government issued pamphlets call it Swine Flu. The news agencies talk about the Swine Flu. Everyday people call it Swine Flu.

No one ever refers to it as H1N1, and when I asked a local about it, he thought it was the stupidest thing he had ever heard.

Way to go Media...make us look stupid again. Thanks.

11 comments:

whitney said...

yay! yay! yay! you're back in the blogosphere!

You're watching Mars Attacks? realllly? That's the #1 movie on my list of stupidest movies ever. You MUST be pretty desperate.

As for the swine flu/H1N1 thing...leave it to Americans to be so politically correct that it just makes them sound ridiculous. I can't say I'm all that surprised.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Ha ha. I think it's really about not upsetting the pigs. Pigs have rights too, you know.

Gretch said...

Can it be? You're actually blogging!! YAY! I'll get my dictionary! :-) Just kidding, I did understand this one.

So yes, I totally agree with this post. I thought the vaccine was just called H1N1 not that people were calling Swine Flu H1N1. I didn't realize it until someone said so you guys got the H1N1 and I said no but we got the Swine Flu.

BTW-We're TOTALLY excited you are coming for Thanksgiving!!!! THANKS!

Smiley Family said...

HaHa! So very true. Darn the media and their inFLUential ways!

HelloBridgett said...

I think they actually stopped calling it that because they didn't want people to jump to conclusions and think they could get it from eating pig meat or being around pigs. It is pretty dumb though.

Here's an article I found on it: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-04-29-h1n1_N.htm

Zachary said...

Oh Sis...if that is the real reason, that they were afraid people would stop eating pork, that makes us look even dumber.

brynn said...

Zach you make me smile luv ya cousin

lasantine said...

Haha! Well, personally, when dealing with sick me, sick hubby, and three small children hurling chunks and dripping noses at the same time, I don't care if they call it Swine flu, H1N1, or you'll-wish-you-were-dead-for-the-next-three-weeks flu.

Can you tell me, does that mean that avian flu is Kosher, but only if it is not contracted by someone with mad cow disease?

Julene said...

You know, I had wondered when and why exactly they switched to calling it H1N1. That really is ridiculous. Now diseases need to be politically correct?

Esther said...

won't be the last time!

M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.