Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grandma



“Grandma!” I hollered as I ran into the room
“I am going to jump over the house thanks to your new trampoline!”

She replied, “I believe that you will.”
“Just be sure I am there when you land on the other side.”

Summer moved on and winter came through

“Grandma!” I shouted into the phone
“I am going to win every race with the skateboard you gave me!”

She replied, “I believe that you will.”
“Just be sure to get a picture of you at the finish line.”

The calendar turned, the weeks hurried by

“Grandma!” I boasted
“I am going to grow as tall as my Uncle Bud!”

She replied, “I believe that you will.”
“Would you like some cereal to fill that appetite?”

Seasons turned and months were spent

“Grandma!” I exclaimed
“I am going to be a successful businessman someday!”

She replied, “I believe that you will.”
“Just let me know if you ever need a partner on the side.”

Years passed on and people grew older

“Grandma!” I said
“I am going to travel abroad to help other people.”

She replied, “I believe that you will.”
“Remember that I will be back here thinking of you.”

Time was spent, the end was near

“Grandson!” She whispered
“I just want to make a difference.”

I replied, “I believe you already did.”

-ZDL

I pray that each of you may have a grandparent as wonderful as my Grandma Striegel. A woman who believed in me no matter what.

15 comments:

Monica Lifferth said...

Awww Zach. My thoughts are with you and all of your family. Grandmas are the best.

whitney said...

That's beautiful. Grandmas really are a special breed all their own. (((hugs)))

All About M.E.('s) said...

What a nice tribute! I'm so sorry to hear about your grandma. It sounds like she was a pretty amazing woman.

Sonja said...

Oh I loved this Zach. I'm so sorry for your loss and so happy you had such a wonderful Grandma!

mmclarkfam said...

Zach, I am sorry to hear about your Grandma. I am glad that you had such a good relationship with her, she sounds wonderful. That was a nice tribute to her.

Smiley Family said...

Sorry for your loss Zach. Loosing grandparents is hard. Your tribute was very nice and I am sure she is still rooting for you on the other side.

Meredith said...

Very touching Zach. I know she meant a lot to your whole family. I'm sory for your loss. My grandma Albiston passed the beginning of June. No one touches a heart like a grandma.

rsheedy said...

Beautiful sentiments. I'm sorry you lost such a wonderful friend. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

You're a good man Zach - and that is a great way to honor your grandparent's legacy.

Gretch said...

Beautiful! She truly is amazing! She always loved without hesitation! Thanks for the wonderful tribute!

Love you and wish I could be there this week when you celebrate Grandma's life!

The Wright's said...

Oh how wonderful. I am sorry for your loss. And I had no idea she passed on. She was always an amazing woman to me.

Nathan and Esther said...

That was pretty special! I'm glad you had such a wonderful Grandma!

Mandy said...

How is it that I always learn about such important parts of your life via blog? I was just in Cali, and now I am back in Utah reading your blog to find this out. You kill me. I know how special your grandma was to you. Thanks for sharing this post with us. It made me miss my grandma terribly!

Anonymous said...

What a great and fitting tribute. Thanks for believing her words Zach

Julene said...

That was really sweet! I wish I could have known your grandma Streigel. She sounds like a very neat lady.