Thursday, May 29, 2008

Oh...so THAT'S why they call it a STING Ray!



It all makes sense now!

This morning I drove down to Carlsbad to hang out with my brother Noah and his family. They didn't have any plans today and I didn't have to go into work until later in the afternoon, so we decided to hit the beach.

Noah wanted to try his hand (and feet) at surfing, so we had our wetsuits and my board and a wide open ocean to give it a go. He went out for a while and did far better than I ever did my first voyage into all things surfing.

When he tired, he came back in and we traded places. I went out and started having some fun with the board. After a while, I came in, and he not being ready to go out again, let me take a second hit at the waves.

This time, however, as I was walking out into the ocean, when I reached a point where the water was about to my thigh, I felt a sharp cut across the side of my right foot. Thinking it was a piece of glass, I figured I better head back in and assess the damage. When I got close enough in that I could lift my foot out of the water, all I saw was blood POURING out of the side of my foot.

Keep in mind, 3 or 4 weeks ago, there was a fatal Great White Shark attack about 4 miles to the south of where we were.

So I hobbled on into the beach and sat down to start cleaning the wound.

Fortunately, after wiping away most of the blood and all the water that had mixed with it, the cut wasn't near as bad as it had first appeared. It was only about an inch long, but pretty deep. It was still bleeding quite a bit.

I want to pause now and thank all of Corporate America for their generosity when it comes to t-shirts. Those logo emblazoned team-building promotional items make great make-shift bandage wraps.

So as I am soiling my latest t-shirt, a local beach comber strolls by and asks if I got tagged by a sting ray. I told him I was pretty sure it was just a piece of glass. He told me that I will know in about 5 minutes if it was a Sting Ray or something else.

Sure enough, within 5 minutes my foot felt like it was on fire, wedged in a closing vice, and crushed under a 5-ton elephant. (Not that elephants actually get that large...but you get the idea.)

Well, I had to head into work, so I cleaned it up the best I could, hopped-along to my car and drove for the next hour or so back to the office. All the while, my foot was throbbing like a love-sick swooner's heart as he stares at a picture of his gal. Only it hurt too.

Long story short...about 3-4 hours later, it stopped hurting all together and I now have a clean slice right across the inside of my foot.
My friends have said that I am now, officially, a Local.

On another note...happy Mt. Everest Anniversary! It was on this date in 1953 that Sir Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay became the first people to reach the pinnacle of the tallest mountain in the world. A truly remarkable feat!

17 comments:

rsheedy said...

YIKES!!! Oh that sounds truly awful! And that is why the ocean freaks me out...

Elisabeth Sherman said...

Nice!

Mark Nott said...

Bageerah!

The Lund Five said...

Ouch! That sounds painful. I hope that is one experience I never have!

Mandy said...

I would say I am sorry, but you are probably really proud of it now that it is over. I am glad you got to get out and surf, with Noah none the less...Good for you!

Anonymous said...

Isn't that how the famous Crocodile Hunter died? Just wondering.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Ouch! Better the foot than the heart! Pretty cool bragging rights.

Smiley Family said...

OUCH!! That is terrible! But where is the pic? And I am with Rachael on the ocean being a freaky place.

Becca said...

Aren't you supposed to have someone pee on the cut and it relieves the "Sting"...just wondering if you left that part out. Anyways, that sounds very painful.

Anonymous said...

thats a jellyfish sting becca. c'mon get with the program.

Anonymous said...

Oh that is too cool!!! Congratulations!!

Kaila said...

We didn't even think about peeing on you Zach--man, that would would have probably cured you for sure--It's probably not too late to help. We sure had fun Zach, we're glad we got to be the first family to visit you in California. Congrats on becoming an official local.

Craig Lifferth said...

The best cure for that type of injury from the ocean is to pee on your foot. Worked for me and others that I know. Plus you know your always invited to our summer of 08! Your passport is accepted!! Woo HOO

The Wright's said...

Man, oh man. So sorry about the sting - at least it wasn't through the heart. Carlsbad - isn't that about an hour or so away from Orange Co?? Seems I was an hour away...
Hmm. Serves you right getting stung by a Sting Ray. :)

Momma Mimi said...

WOW! Ouch! I have always wondered WHY they were called sting rays, at the aquarium they are always so friendly to let you pet them. So what part "stings'' or cuts you?
Glad you are official now!

Thistlerose said...

there's so much that makes sense now...

Laura F said...

Yikes! How crazy is that? I swear, you're the only person I know whose blog could contain these kinds of stories, and leave me mostly unsurprised. :-) You sure know how to live. Fun checking in on you, I'll have to relate the stingray story to Justin later. He's in "impress the boss" mode in his internship these days and is never online.

Sorry about the loss of your grandmother - your tribute was wonderful.