Friday, December 21, 2007

Another Crazy Adventure


Staying true to my discursive nature of blogging, I bring to you today yet another tale of head-scratching wonderment that is the life of Zach.
For those of you who may not know me as well as others, this auctorial entry should give you perspicacity into the life, times and overall turmoil that is me.
I've done some crazy things in my life. No really...I have. I have jumped out of a perfectly good airplane that even had landing gear.
I have climbed down a 2,000 foot near-vertical cliff without ropes or gear.
I have voluntarily thrown myself off of a 95 foot cliff.
Once, for $20 I licked the hand rail of an outdoor escalator in Las Vegas.
Well this last week I did another crazy thing. I flew up to Salt Lake City on Wednesday and back to California on Thursday...all for just one date. And you know what? It was worth it.
I have a good friend whom I met back in the Payson Singles' ward. We have been friends for a while, and fortunately we stayed in contact after my mini-exodus down to the Golden State. Anyway a few weeks back she sent me an e-mail asking me if I would accompany her to the Mormon Tabernacle Christmas Party.She happens to be a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Orchestra.
Impulsively thinking that this would be a non-soporific activity, and that I really enjoy the company of said girl, I figured, "What the heck!"
So I found a killer deal on airplane tickets and told her that I would love to join her. Needless to say...I had a FANTASTIC time!So on Wednesday I flew up to Salt lake. I had made arrangements to stay with one of my all-time favorite mission companions who lives downtown. By far one of the most generous people I know. (Love you man!)
I swung by a flower shop where I had ordered a corsage, then stopped by his place to shower and get ready.
I met up with my friend in the lobby of the Grand American Hotel. She looked awesome by the way. We then proceeded to find our name tags and seats. There were a lot of people there. We had all of the Choir, the Orchestra, all the "behind-the-scenes" people that make things happen, and of course a man named President Gordon B. Hinckley.
So we had a wonderful meal of salmon and steak. There was great entertainment, and finally we got to hear from some of the leaders of the Choir, such as Mr. Mac.
Bro. John Longhurst, who has been the organist for the choir for over 30 years, was given 2 large plaques and was honored that night for his services.
We also had the honor of hearing from our beloved Prophet, Pres. Hinckley. That was an awesome experience.
At the end of the evening, we were all invited to sing "Silent Night" before having the closing prayer. Most people would have been intimidated to be singing with the entire Mormon Tabernacle Choir...but not me! At the end of it, I realized that I can say, "I literally sang with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir."

I'm practically a celebrity in Utah.

6 comments:

Gretch said...

HA! Love the post. You are famous! Thanks for playing Santa for me. The threats have continued, I'll let you know if we need another call from "Santa" to remind Paige that good girls get presents. We might need a surprise call just in case because already today she has, toilet papered the inside of our house-no kidding-and we had to pull her out of The Bee movie kicking and screaming!

All About M.E.('s) said...

Good for you! I think it sounds like the sanest of all the activities mentioned. Definitely a lot saner and SAFER than licking a handrail in Vegas. Are you crazy? You are lucky to be alive.
Anyway, sounds like an awesome night--it would be hard to turn that one down.

Craig Lifferth said...

Brother, You really are the man!! I'm jealous that you got to have a Christmas party with the Mo-Tab and also hang out with a girl. Those are two things that I wish I could do sometime in my life. You really are the man of the week.

whitney said...

Yay! Yay! Anytime Zach goes on a date is an fabulous thing, but even better if he actually has a great time;)! All jesting aside, it sounds like you had really fun time and had to be the smartest thing on your list of crazy adventures. Then again, I've flown 1,000 miles for a date before, so who am I to talk? :P

Smiley Family said...

Great post! I hope to never jump out of an airplane or off a cliff, and I certainly would never lick ANYTHING in Las Vegas. You are a brave man! But the Mo-tab, that I could do! Even though I too would be very intimidated. Sounds like a great experience, definitely worth the $$$.

Sonja said...

Zach this is so cool! Next time you fly to SLC let me know so you can come over for dinner. I live right downtown in the Avenues! I'd love to see you!