Thursday, July 12, 2007

Family...Isn't it about time?


I just returned home from one of the greatest vacations that I have ever had. What made it so great? No...I didn't see any celebrities. I didn't get to eat anything too odd or weird. I didn't even get to meet any former Presidents of the United States like that time I jaunted down to Venezuela.

What made this trip so great was that I got to spend so much time with my family. Growing up, I thought it was completely normal to have three sets of Grandparents, three sets of Aunts and Uncles, and three sets of cousins. It wasn't until I was well into my teens that I finally realized that our family was an exception...and we had exceptional extended family.

See, my mother was married to a man named Doug. They had one daughter, (my older sister Monica). When she was still very young, Doug passed away. A short time later, (though I am sure at the time it probably seemed like a long time), my mother met and eventually married my father. Doug's family accepted my father as one of their own, and went out of their way to make sure that everyone always felt included.

None of us children ever felt that we were different in anyway. Sure, by pure genetics, there isn't any relation. However, that entire side of the family is Family, and nothing will ever change that. They are to this day, some of the most generous, sincere, giving, wonderful people that I have ever met. I feel as close to them and as a part of their family as I do with my cousin whom I have lived with as a roommate. I am grateful and thank my Heavenly Father every day that they are a part of my life.


So it was with them that I spent the majority of the 4th of July Holiday. My uncle has a cabin up in the mountains of Colorado that we go to each year. Even though the number of activities up there are endless, we typically end up doing two things: Sitting around and eating delicious food. But none of us ever complain about it.


One particular high point of this year was another uncle bringing out well over $1000 worth of fireworks, pulling me and my cousin aside and saying, "Now last year we dragged this out for the better part of two hours. This year, I want all of these fireworks gone in 10 minutes or less."

We obliged. I couldn't see or hear for several hours afterwards, but we let off every one of those things in a cacophony of festive spectacular. I didn't get to see much because I was scurrying around lighting fuses, but I heard later that it was pretty impressive. Side note: don't put your face too close to exploding fountains...it can flash burn your face.


The last day of my vacation I was able to go to another uncle's cabin where we had a gathering for my father's side of the family. It was truly a wonderful time to see many of my relations, to hug them, talk to them and catch up. I tell you what...I have the greatest family, all three sides, that anyone could ever be blessed with.


I also want to give a shout out to Blue. I am starting to realize how important a part of my life she is.

3 comments:

Thistlerose said...

huzzah for vacations! i'm glad this one was so good for you.

Crazy Lifferths said...

Looks like you aren't having a hard time enjoying summer either! I am glad that you got to see your family. However, it sounds like you made another trip to Utah and we still didn't see you? I am guessing that second cabin you went to is Aunt Ann and Uncle Joe's?! I am sad we missed you!

The Wright's said...

What a wonderful entry! I echo your comments about family - we have a great one! I was thrilled to see you Monday. You really are a great guy and I hope you are happy down in S.Cal. I love you Zach!