Sunday, October 29, 2006

Local Fruits and Nuts
Day 7...the drive home.
All I can say is "Thank Goodness for Daylight Savings Time". Ok, I can say a little more than that. I was very grateful for the opportunity to get an extra hour of slumber in today. I needed it. It didn't help that the rooms all around mine had a wedding today and they were all out in the hall yelling for each other to be ready and to get going. Whoever it was that was getting married, I truly wish them the best and hope they have a wonderful life together...far away from me.
Lyndsey and I loaded up the Gutless Wonder and took off for Orange County. We had just under 400 miles to go, and all the excitement of a wet paper bag to motivate us. But it was a good trip. I have to give Kudos to Lyndsey for putting up with me for a week. She was a real trooper and actually laughed at my stories. It was a lot of fun to get to know her more.
We made two pit stops for bathroom breaks, but other than that, it was a straight shot from the Bay area to Orange County. We talked about how beautiful the landscape would have been without all the smog. I have to say that California has some pretty diverse terrain.
One of the more entertaining moments of the day came as we were driving through part of the HUGE agricultural belt of the Sunshine State, when we saw a very large billboard that said, "Local Fruits and Nuts". Had this billboard been posted in any other state, it could have been taken the wrong way. Fortunately for us, I was able to still take it the wrong way, and fully agree that there are a bunch of weird people around that sell things like dates, apricots, nectarines, cashews, pistachios, etc.
All in all, we logged over 1200 miles in 7 days. We met a lot of very entertaining people. Ate a lot of good food, and I would have to say, built up some memories, (and very calloused behinds, thus pushing us to the ever difficult status of Callipygian), and had a wonderful time.
So until my next trip...remember to never poke a lion in the eye.

No comments: